The internship would span approximately (6) calendar months, ideally June-December 2015 with a flexible start date, and include a minimum of 135 hours of work (1 credit during the summer, and 2 credits during the fall semester). Due to the nature of our business, our "busy season", etc., as well as the intern's home/work/school schedule, the hours would vary from week to week. Set shooting dates would be determined well in advance.
The goal of the internship is to cover the various and wide ranging aspects of running a multi-faceted photography business. These topics include:
- Photography: skill, execution, equipment, working with clients & engaging children (primarily in our school photography division); note that once the internship is complete, any images that are taken while working for ABP may be used for portfolio purposes, if a model release is obtained from the client.
- Client communication and troubleshooting
- Maintaining a website, blog and social media
- Finances & bookkeeping
- Marketing and creating goals, promotions, etc. in line with the overall marketing plan
- Quality control, packaging, shipping & delivery of products
- Other aspects of running and maintaining a successful small business, such as creating a schedule, setting goals & legalities
tasks & responsibilites
Our business is constantly moving, growing and changing, so the intern responsibilities should vary depending on our workload and current needs. It is also flexible around the intern's schedule. Responsibilities would likely include any combination of the following, but are not limited to the list below. No aspects of the business are off limits!
- Shadowing Ashley on various shoots & projects, and also during various "office days" to learn and assist in the back end of running a business (client communication, finances, marketing, etc.)
- Hands on photography training
- Photographing (either as a primary or second shooter) our school portrait days and/or fundraisers
- Post processing of images in Photoshop
- Creating proof sheets, order forms & client galleries
- Creating marketing and promotional collateral
- Administrative tasks
- Solid grasp of basic photography skills (equipment is provided)
- Ability to work both onsite (within 30 miles of Albany, NY) and remotely, on your own computer
- Friendly, professional & polished demeanor that bodes well to working with both adults & children
- Responsible and reliable
- Weekday & weekend flexibility; we understand that school/other work/home are priorities as well, and are happy to work with your scheduling needs to make the internship convenient for both parties.
- Willingness to communicate frequently and openly
- Willingness to learn and explore the many sides of running a small business
- Any journaling, record-keeping, etc. requirements as set by Sage
$13/hr, paid biweekly